Septoplasty – Correcting my Deviated Septum Part 2

I finished my previous blog post on this matter at Day 3 after my surgery with the promise of continuity. I am currently writing this on my last sick day and I am finally going back to work tomorrow. Yay! So I’ll just get started with the chronology.

Days 4 & 5

On the fourth day after my surgery, I noticed that I had stopped spitting out bloody mucus. I can’t get much out from my nose and that’s why everything has to come out via my mouth. It all didn’t feel much different from a common cold – stuffy nose and all, except in my case my nose was literally stuffed with the nasal splints, hence, it felt stiff the whole time to keep my septum in place. I even sneezed a couple of times, which I had to do with an open mouth to not put too much pressure on my nose. Day five wasn’t much different. It was a Saturday so we went grocery shopping which proved hard to pull off when you are around strangers and you have to keep breathing through your mouth. I always had a pack of Kleenex in my hand just in case something starts to drip off my nose, which it did on several occasions.

Day 6

It’s the last day of suffering with the nasal splints and I kept counting down the hours! Daylight savings also kicked in here in Germany so that saved me one full hour. At around noon I started feeling something coming down my throat so I spit it out and it was a long line of dried bloody mucus, around 3cm long. I felt my right nostril decongest and I was able to breathe through it! I concluded that the other nostril must be stuffed with it as well so I tried to get it out by inhaling deeply. It eventually came out in the afternoon and I was able to sleep well that night, for a change.

Day 7

I don’t remember how many different versions I dreamt that night of my doctors’ appointment going really badly. I am not a stranger to anxiety dreams and this night was one full of them. It usually went like this: I sit in the chair at my doctor’s and while he looks through my nose he tells me that I’m going to have to wear the nasal splints a few days longer because it didn’t heal as quickly as expected. When I woke up, I realised how badly I wanted these things out.

So at around noon I went to the ENT with my wife and he cut the threads holding the splints together and he pulled them out one at a time, right and then left. My wife was watching in horror because she had no idea how big those things were and neither did I. I’m not gonna lie, mucus was hanging down my nose after he pulled the splints out but I guess that’s to be expected. I was just happy to be able to breathe again!

Day 8 & 9

It’s nice to be able to sleep really well for change. While the wound hasn’t fully healed yet, I’m pretty sure I am breathing so much better than before my surgery. I still do experience the post-nasal drip but I guess I’ll just wait patiently for everything to fall into place, maybe my body just has to get used to the change. For the record, I still have a cold or at least I’m experiencing the symptoms and I guess this is all just part of the healing process. After all, my nose and throat area have been through a LOT this past week.

Day 10

I had my last doctor’s appointment today and he was really happy with his work. He just noticed that my nose was really dry and he prescribed me with an oil to moisturise it. It comes in a bottle much like that of a nasal spray, only it’s oil. I otherwise only tried putting vaseline on the wound which he said was perfectly fine, but he still gave me the oil because that’s what most of his patients used in their recovery. He also wrote my recommendation to the GP to check on the blood pressure drop I had during surgery and he asked me to come back with whatever the findings are so he could put it in my file. But other than that, I have no more need to come by, unless of course something goes wrong with my nose again which he said is unlikely. Even the post-nasal drip, he said, shall get better and I really do hope so. The best news, though, is that I am finally allowed to do whatever I want. I had been wanting to go to the gym this whole time and now I can finally go!

Day 11 & 12

I had some trouble with the dryness of my nostrils. At some point I even started bleeding, which is a common symptom of a dry nose. It didn’t bleed on the spot that was operated on, though, so I didn’t worry all too much. I applied the oil when the bleeding stopped and just let it work its magic.

Day 13

I can honestly say that I am ready to go back to my normal life. I still feel the common cold symptoms but I can at least breathe normally and, most importantly, I am ready to go back to work tomorrow! This whole experience, in general, has not been as hard as I had expected but it’s also not necessarily something I would want to go through again. I am glad I had done it and I do suggest you do it too if your doctor recommends it.

4 thoughts on “Septoplasty – Correcting my Deviated Septum Part 2

  1. That’s very kind of you, Dr. Shah. I just made an order for a humidifier (I’ve always wanted to get one, but never got around to it). Thank you so much! I’m excited for the results! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s